Wednesday, November 2, 2011

My Girl is Delighted, My Son is Embarrassed...All on the Same Day!

With Camille during her Halloween
party at school.
My little girl was so happy to see me. She was so proud of the costume and candy bag her mom had made for her. Her little face beamed with joy when she saw me come into her classroom for her Halloween party and she was happy to be in my arms for this picture.

Just a few minutes later, I went to my son's high school to hand deliver what he needed to have for driver's ed. Yes, the time has arrived! Which partly explains what happened next. He was waiting for me out in front. When he saw me park, he promptly came toward me as if to say 'just give me the stuff and go!' When I got out of the car, his eyes got big. I could tell what he was thinking 'what are you doing? Get back in the car!' I told him I wanted to see his teacher and he said 'you are NOT going to my classroom are you?' I said 'yes I am!' with a smile. He reacted 'Nooo! Oh my gosh, this is going to be so awkward!' So, I asked point blank 'what? Are you embarrassed to be seen with your father?' upon which he promptly and without qualms or hesitation said 'YEEES!' with that sassy intonation of the voice that is so familiar and annoying in teenagers these days.

Now, I have to confess...I was totally expecting this response, just not this 'loud and clear' if you know what I mean. I realize not all children react that way, and I hope some of my children won't. But, as I remember feeling the same way as a teenager, I saw this one coming.

So, what's a father to do?

Well, for one, enjoy every minute they still let you hug them, kiss them, and hold their hand. Time goes by too quickly and they are kids only once.

Second, find meaningful ways to spend time with the older ones. Adjust to what their preference is whether playing a sport, listening to their music (yes, I know, that one is tough but I actually have expanded my appreciation for music!), or talking about whatever they like. It may not be quite the same as a hug but I have learned to enjoy it almost as much.

Third, no matter what, really love them and show it. I think there is no substitute for love. While I'd prefer my son didn't get embarrassed, I understand and I don't get upset about it. I still love him dearly.

As children grow, they want to be treated as big people, not as little people any more. That doesn't mean we can't love them just as much. It just means we find new, different ways to love them just the same. I suspect, the embarrassment will continue. But I hope one day, after this phase is over, they will once again be proud to be seen with their dad. In the meantime, I have work to do!

2 comments:

  1. I remember those days too. I hope our kids are better than how I acted. Good luck and I will definitely be taking advantage of my short time with my young ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time is indeed short. But I try to enjoy every moment, even as those I have cherished in the past are fleeting away little by little.

    ReplyDelete