Sunday, October 16, 2011

Treasures From My Father

My parents on the St. Clair River between
the U.S. and Canada. St. Clair, MI
During a recent visit by my parents, whom we don't get to see often, I took them on a walk along the river. I learned new things and I grew to appreciate my father even more. I had questions about his early years as a father, his career choices, his service in the church, and the eventual decision to uproot his family from Mexico and come to the US to start a new life.

As a young man I wasn't always interested in my dad as I am now. His life seemed uninteresting to me, as it might be with many young children. As an adult, I have come to appreciate him by more than just providing the necessities of life. So, we walked as I asked, and listened to him. He shared with me about his life lessons, his motivations for key decisions in his life, his determination to accomplish the many things he has accomplished, his faith in God, and his love for my mother and his children.

It was like opening a treasure chest and discovering precious jewels that had always been there, I just had never opened the chest. And truthfully, I wish I had discovered some of these things earlier. I wish that I had taken the time earlier to listen, to learn, to grow. I love my father dearly, and that morning I felt so much closer to him. I thank him for his example, for his love, and for his willingness to share.

If you still have your father around, don't wait. Visit with him or call him now and take the time to open that treasure chest. Ask him questions, listen, learn, and treasure up these things in your heart.

If you are a father, take the time to share. Wait for the right moment and share of your experience, wisdom, and of your love, with your child or grandchild. You may just share the greatest treasure he or she has ever found.

As for me, I hope to have many more of these opportunities. I have much to learn still. And somehow I think there is more in that treasure chest that I have not yet discovered. For all of that, I am grateful for my wonderful father.

5 comments:

  1. What a great insight. I remember a talk a couple of conferences ago, I think from Elder Bednard, about asking your father questions and learning from his experiences and wisdom. Seems you are following the counsel of our leaders. Thank you for your example. I'm excited to speak with my father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tau! Glad to hear it's prompted action. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mar,
    I loved this blog. You couldn't have said it better; it's a treasure chest full of valuable wisdom! I also took the time to "pick" dad's brain when he was here in Salt Lake. We spent an evening together just me and him and I had so many questions for my father like a little boy. This year my life has taken some fantastic changes and turns. As I have sat down to ponder about my life, my children and my career, often times dad came into my mind and I couldn't help to wonder "how did my old man do this, that and the other?". By the time he was my current age he had already accomplished quite a bit. Was he not afraid? I know I have certainly experienced fear, anxiety and worry when contemplating changes, when trying to set and reach goals. His advice, words, energy, wisdom and FAITH/CERTAINTY blew me AWAY! He is an inspiration to me. I seem to seek his advice now more then ever and I feel so refreshed talking to him when I do. I love his never ending enthusiastic attitude. Heaven knows I need my old man now more then ever and I am so very thankful to have him just a phone call away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said bro. We are indeed very blessed to have him still and in such great health. Let us be there for our own children for the time they are ready to open their own treasure. Let us make sure they find valuable and precious things in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mar, how interesting, I had the same experience when they were here in Boise. I think I opened the treasure chest long ago, and have been discovering precious jewels all along. As time goes by, I realize how much more valuable they are.

    ReplyDelete