Monday, April 18, 2011

The Sunday Fort

Today after dinner, my little girl Camille and her little brother Josh wanted me to come play in the basement with them. We had previously made a "fort" (a tent-like structure) with some blankets, furniture and chairs. I wanted to play but didn't really feel like crawling on the floor with my Sunday clothes still on (we were attending a baptism later in the day)...but she insisted. And it's really hard to say no to a smiling six year-old showing her dimples and moving her cute curly pony tails her mom had done for her this morning! So I went downstairs :/

We added a "room" to the fort and then we went inside. They had lots of fun running in and out of their huge fort and jumping over me. They brought dolls and toys for me to keep there and laughed a lot. I must confess I wasn't doing much other than sit there and make faces whenever they came into view. But I had a great time! :)

Afterwards, I remembered a recent talk I gave about building family relationships. In it I used a quote from the October 2009 General Conference from Elder Bednar's talk on being more diligent and concerned at home. Quoting President Monson he said...“Often we assume that [the people around us] must know how much we love them. But we should never assume; we should let them know. … We will never regret the kind words spoken or the affection shown. Rather, our regrets will come if such things are omitted from our relationships with those who mean the most to us."

Well, my little girl did the teaching today!

I have ways to improve in this area. I tell Camille "I love you my Cams" every day. She often says, "I know!" And when I ask her how she knows she'll say... "because you've told me a thousand times!" (with that little sassy voice of modern six-year olds). I hope when she is older and I ask her "how do you know I love you?" she will say "because you made us a fort that one Sunday!"

No comments:

Post a Comment