Wednesday, April 27, 2011

My Father's Day

My brother, my dad, me.
April 26 was my father's day. Yes, my father's birthday. I won't reveal his age but he's old enough to be my dad! (Though he doesn't look it, does he?)

So I wanted to dedicate this to him because from him I learned many things about being a father. Though I believe we are all a product of many factors, including our upbringing and our own choices, there are blessings in my life that I attribute directly to my father. Here is a list...
  • He married in the temple. This gave me the hope and confidence that we'd be together forever as a family, and provided an example to follow.
  • He provided security for our family. I was never afraid because I knew he'd always take care of me and my family. Now I try to provide the same for my family.
  • He taught me the value of hard work. And I mean hard! Thanks to him, I am not afraid to work. And I've done work that I wouldn't apply for today but that I would do if necessary.
  • He taught me to strive for excellence. He and my mother were adamant that we do things with excellence. It drove me nuts most of the time. Now my kids are paying for it!
  • He dared to do bold things. Moving a family from one country to another, open up a restaurant (which he kept for 22 years) and developing other business interests takes uncommon courage. When facing a steep upward hill, I think of my dad.
  • He's always loved the scriptures. Though he often fell asleep in the act (but miraculously he never dropped them!), I saw his love for the scriptures as he faithfully studied each day.
  • He pays tithing faithfully. He inherited that from his own father. It's a legacy of faith we continue.
  • He loves my mother dearly and showed it by serving her and helping her. I hope I'm measuring up!
  • He's always served others, no matter what the need. And he is still hard at it with my dear mother. That's a legacy my kids are also paying for now.
  • He prayed fervently (still does). Though we complained about the length (zzzz!), I never doubted he knew Heavenly Father was listening to every word he said.
So, yes, I was very blessed with a wonderful dad. I just spoke with him on the phone. We have a great relationship and I hope he's around for another good while. In the meantime...Happy Birthday Dad!! Felíz Cumpleaños!!

5 comments:

  1. Mar, tu has puesto en palabras los sentimientos de mi corazon. En verdad todas estas cosas y mas hemos aprendido de nuestro papa. Yo les platico a mis hijs con frecuencia las vivencias de mi infancia. Que bendecidos somos de aun tener a nuestros padres en vida!!
    Gracias Mar por compartir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And what about his sense of humor, he is so funny, he makes me laugh just about every time we talk.
    his positivism is contageous and inspiring.
    He faces challenges with great faith and takes on opportunities like no other.
    He is a loving and tender dad, he would sing me to sleep even well into my 20's. He put an extra blaket on me while I slept.
    He's a great runner, holy cow! he almost outran me.
    His words of wisdom are like medicine to my soul.
    My dad is the best! no doubt about it.
    Gracias papi por ser un papa especial

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, absolutely. The one thing I didn't know is that he ran. That's news!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post. I'm sure that would be one of the best presents he received on his b day.

    ReplyDelete