Sunday, August 28, 2011

Boys Will Be Boys?

Note: this post was written the first week of August during an all LDS Scout Encampment but for some reason wasn't published as I thought it was.
Over 800 LDS Boy Scouts and Leaders at Camp Rotary
ready to start church services.
Being with a group of nearly 900 Boy and Venture Scouts, all LDS is a sight to behold. It's a time for friendship, a time for learning, a time for teaching, a time for adventure, and a time to have fun!

And there is no better way to do it than with your own sons. So here I am with my to oldest sons and savoring every moment like a well cooked filet mignon! (unless you are vegetarian of course!). Seeing dads with their boys is such a nice thing to see but what's touched me deeply is seeing dads who are here even when they have no sons to hang out with. Hats off to all of them, especially those without boys. They are here out of love. I hope my boys recognize that.

Most adult men here reach out to young men and become role models. They sacrifice their time, energy, and resources to be here in the hot, humid summer days with boys that will some day hopefully do the same for other boys, maybe their boys.

Thank you Greg, Steve, Everett, and all those who have gone before and who will go hereafter to these camps to provide leadership, friendship, and love to my boys and to all boys. Because as someone said at one of the firesides, "boys will be boys? No, boys will be men" and I will add, boys will be dads!

1 comment:

  1. I've been pondering and had some recent experiences of wonderful men and women in the church who love the Lord. And serve Him and their fellow man with such diligence and faith. I'm grateful for such wonderful examples. Thank you for sharing another great example.

    ReplyDelete