Monday, August 29, 2011

Happiness From Being a Dad

At church I heard a good brother testify that happiness stems mostly from our family relationships and our roles as members of a family unit. I believe that is one of the reasons God designed the family unit, to help us learn how to be truly happy. And that is true for dads as some men reminded me this weekend.

Yesterday during a stake sponsored activity, a friend of mine was carrying his little boy on his shoulders, his two beautiful little girls running around him pulling on his hands and shirt. He seemed quite happy with his beautiful children.

Today at church, I saw one happy father. He was holding his little boy (probably just a few months old) in his arms. He cradled him as he sat during church and soon the little boy was sound asleep comfortably resting on the arms of his dad. I love that sight.

This is the real thing...they
were all hanging from dad
even if only for a split second!
I think they'll hang on to him
for a lot longer than that.
Then I saw this picture on Facebook of my brother-in-law with all five of his kids hanging off him with the caption "I told my wife that I would know that I'm old when I can't carry all my children at the same time. I'm not old yet!" His happy countenance is an indication of his happiness as a father, not to mention his satisfaction knowing he's not 'old' yet! (which he wanted me to point out in exchange for his permission to use this picture!).

In all cases, these are outstanding fathers and husbands, and great examples of the happiness that comes from those two most important roles. For me that happiness is greater than anything I have ever experienced and worth any sacrifice. I would not trade it for the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment