Thursday, February 9, 2012

A Child's Prayer: What I as a Father Learned From My Little One

Luke & Helaman around the time
of the incident.
Recently we read as a family the account of Nephi breaking his bow and the whole family suffering hunger because of it. It always strikes me as interesting that after he makes a new bow and arrow, he goes to his father, the patriarch, the prophet, Lehi to ask for direction "Whither shall I go to obtain food?" Lehi asked the Lord and learned a lesson that I think he always remembered.

As I thought about this event, I thought about how Lehi was humbled and learned a powerful lesson because of his son's gentle invitation. And then I remembered a similar experience that happened to me many years ago when my first son Helaman was about 4 years old.

We had been shopping. It was a late and chilly January night. Kelly, Helaman, and Luke (who was one then) waited in the car as I made one last quick purchase. When I came back I discovered that Helaman had stuck the wrong key in the ignition (what?). After a lot of effort, the key finally came out but when I try to insert the right key, the key wouldn't turn, it didn't even go all the way in as normal. I spent the next several minutes trying different things but to no avail. As each minute passed, and it kept getting late, and colder in the car, my frustration grew. And just at the wrong time (for me), Helaman said in his innocent little voice: "Dad, why don't we say a prayer?" Being in the state of mind that I was, I felt no desire to pray, so I said without really meaning it, "okay, why don't YOU pray?"

As my little boy started praying, guilt came over me and then concern. What is he going to think when he realizes that the key will not turn simply because he said a prayer? I didn't want his faith to be shaken. In truth, at that moment, it was my faith that was absent, not just shaken.

He finished his prayer.

Nervously and hesitantly I turned the key. Slowly.

This time, it didn't resist at all.

The car started!

At that moment I felt a spirit of peace come over me. Not just because the car had started. I felt relief yes. But what I felt was more like a gentle rebuke of love that reassured me that God listens to prayers, particularly those of His little ones.

That night, a child's prayer was answered in what I felt was a miraculous way. What's more, a father learned a powerful lesson that I will never forget: to trust in the Lord, seek his help, and to be patient and believing.

As Nephi did, my children also teach me many lessons. Yes, it takes humility to recognize them but fathers can and should learn from children valuable lessons for life and living. For that, I am grateful to be a dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment