Friday, June 3, 2011

Dad, Are You Really There?

See that guy in red back there? He
couldn't stop videoing; it was great!!
Today I went to Musson Elementary's (my kids school) Field Day. This is one event I have tried to attend every year. This time for some reason I noticed so many fathers. I'm sure this was the case last year, I'm sure this is the case in most other elementary schools. But it was so encouraging to see dads out there cheering their kids. Every now and then I could hear a faint voice of a girl or a boy calling out "dad!...dad!" urging their dad to look at the physical feat of his beloved son or daughter. The proud dad was there smiling, taking pictures, video, and spurring his child on.

It might be a generational thing, or my memory may fail me, but I don't recall many dads in those types of activities when I was growing up. My own dad, because of work reasons, could not attend those types of events. But times have changed, and, at least in this respect, for the better. I see dads changing diapers, shopping with their kids, involved in school activities, coaching their kids sports teams, and other such things.

But are we really there? I hope that as dads, we not only attend events but are there also when our kids need us most. At least today I know Camille and Parker were glancing at me to see if I was watching, to see if their dad would notice and be proud of them.

It reminds me of one of my favorite primary songs, A Child's Prayer. The first verse begins "Heavenly Father, are you really there?" The same can be asked of earthly fathers..."Dad, are you really there?"

I think our kids pay attention to our presence all the time. Is my dad there? Is he watching? Does he care? Does he notice?

I know it's not always possible to make every event, but those dads I saw out there having fun with their kids reminded me of how important it is to really be there. Thank you dads for your good examples. You make a difference in your children's lives; and that's a big deal, bigger than the deal you may have just closed today!

2 comments:

  1. The role of the father is so much bigger than the world some times make it out to be. I believe the Lord has always encouraged fathers to put their families as a top priority in life and I'm glad that more are striving to do so.

    I'm also excited to be a better dad, strive to pay more attention, and just be there for my wife and kids. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's very encouraging to see good fathers and they are out there everywhere, not just in the church. I know because I see my children's friends dads and some of them are every bit as devoted as any dad I know.

    Thank you for your continued visits and comments. I saw your family blog, it looks like you have a wonderful family life. I'm sure you are doing a great job for them!!

    ReplyDelete