Sunday, February 5, 2012

Father's Blessings...Who Remembers Them?

Camille as a new born.
Today was a special day because two of my friends blessed their babies during sacrament meeting. What a great treat it was to see these faithful men use the power of the priesthood given to them to give a father's blessing to their infant babies as they begin their earthly journey.

But, who really remembers these blessings? I must admit that I don't; and today I wished that I had documented my children's blessings better. But the infant is too young to remember. And the parents, even if they write the blessing, probably seldom review it or are likely to misplace it and never see it again.

But that doesn't' matter! What matters is that a father pronounced a blessing by the power of God. What matters is that the blessing is binding and in full force, even when the child isn't aware of it. What matters is that the blessings pronounced are fulfilled even when we don't remember them, even when we take them for granted.

But today, as my friends pronounced these very special blessings on their respective children, I was reminded of the importance of a father's blessing. They matter, even if we don't remember them.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting insight, Marcelino. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome! Welcome to the discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed. We had 2 baby blessing in our sacrament the same Sunday. It's amazing to feel the special spirit that comes with the blessing of such sweet and innocent babes. It's an honor to just be present when blessings are given.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They remind me of that sweet time when I blessed mine. They are growing fast and are not innocent infants anymore, so these are special times to remember.

    ReplyDelete