Sunday, May 1, 2011

Random Sunday Thoughts...

1) Spent a few hours (yesterday) helping a young aspiring Eagle Scout. His dad was there doing hard labor right along with his son (9 hours straight of back-breaking labor). I hope the son does not forget his dad did not leave him alone. Faithful fathers never do.

2) Had wonderful blessing to teach one of the lessons for preparation to receive the Melchizedek Priesthood to a humble and faithful brother coming back into activity. He told me the reason he came back to the church was to be able to receive the priesthood and bless the life of his wife and children. He reminded me of something that it's sometimes easy to take for granted, that the best way to bless our families is to be a worthy priesthood holder and use it to bless our family. Thank you my friend! I came home uplifted by his example.

3) Was reminded by a good friend of mine to trust my children to make good choices. Always teach correct principles and help them make good choices. Boundaries are important yes but they have to feel I trust them.

4) Witnessed a baby blessing today. What a nice thing to see a dad blessing his little one. I know we are not supposed to record them but I thought what would our children do if they remembered or were able to read their father's blessings? Then it came to me. They can, just give them one now!

5) Watched young dads at church today (we are blessed with several) with their babies. I remember those days with tenderness in my heart. I miss those times. My hats off to those guys, and their dear wives; for those days will come to an end and they will miss the soft warm feel of their precious little ones in their arms.

6) Read a bit with Camille. Oh she loves to read! Oh do I love to read with her! Especially because she loves to snuggle close to me and hug me. What can I do? Read more!

7) Came home late from an appointment and Luke was waiting for me to go collect fast offerings (were unable to collect them earlier). I had forgotten but he hadn't. Everyone else was ready for bed but he stayed up and dressed. I felt so grateful for his example of fulfilling his priesthood duty. He keeps me on my toes!

8) Read parable of the Prodigal Son (Luke 15)...what a wonderful example of a compassionate, loving, father. He loved both of his sons dearly!

I love being a dad!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great Sunday. Your kids also sound like they are wonderful. I fall in the young father category and I think of the time when my children will be grown and I will not be able to cradle them in my arms...it reminds to take advantage of this time in my life. I truly love being a father...I learn so much each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome. Yes, enjoy them, every day. They grow fast. Great to hear of fatherly love. Your children are blessed to have a dad that enjoys the role. Congrats! I do have wonderful kids, thanks, we are very blessed!

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete