Saturday, May 14, 2011

And They Cheered On...

Call it middle age crisis, call it craziness, call it whatever you want but today I ran my first 25K race. Though it wasn't really a race. I think most of us were there to prove ourselves. In my case, I wanted to know I could still run. Of course, I wasn't in it to clock a particular time but just to finish the thing.

Over all it was a great experience. I like challenge, I like to set goals and accomplish them. Yes, there was a bit of pride involved, after all I'm 40. OK, so there, I admit it. But fitness is also very important to me, I want to be an active dad. I want to be able to play hard with my children until they leave home (at least). So, fathers, yes, what does this have to do with fathers?

Yes, it was raining, but there
they were. I know it was not the
ideal way to spend a Saturday!
Well, I invited the whole family, and they came! They came to see their old man do something crazy. They cheered me as I stood fresh, daring, and confident at the starting line. I was grateful to have them there.

Of course, I had to pace myself so I would not kill myself too soon. So a lot of people passed me, definitely more than I was passing! A sign caught my attention. A young woman was holding a sign that read "You are my Gold, You are my Dad." Being in the frame of mind that I was, at first glance, what I saw was "You are my old dad." So I had to look again to see the whole thing. And I smiled and thought how nice it was to see children cheering their fathers (and mothers) on as they ran.

Then I noticed a man that was pushing what looked like a sports stroller except, it wasn't a baby riding inside it. It was a young boy about 11-12 years of age with what seemed to be some kind of severe physical disability. I saw two others, also pushing their disabled children, who were along for the ride. I thought what a great thing for those dads and their children to spend this time together and be part of the same challenge. I admired those fathers. Particularly the one that had to stop to attend to his son who seemed to be in some kind of discomfort. Later on he passed me again, and I was glad to see that his son was ok.

Luke's shot of his old man at mile 13
Kelly called me around mile 7 to let me know they were waiting for me. And they waited...and waited...because they were in mile 13. At the pace I was going, it would take me another hour to get to where they were, but her call encouraged me. She would call again about 3 or 4 more times to ask how I was doing. Around mile 13 I finally saw Luke and Parker running towards me to take pictures. Then I saw Kelly, Helaman, Camille, and Joshua. They gave me high 5s and screamed and yelled and cheered me on. It was a great sight. One that gave me the encouragement to continue on and lengthen and speed up my stride. My family has had that effect on me in more than one occasion, in more than one way. And that's something I'm very grateful for.

The home stretch was straight, flat, and relatively easy. It must have been adrenaline, or the GU energy gel I had around mile 12 (and do they taste nasty!), or the sight of my beautiful family, or an answer to my prayers (yes, I said more than one prayer as I ran because my one of my knees really hurt!), or something else, but I found energy to close strong.

Eric and Brett, two dads I am glad
to call friends
Well, I wish I could say my finish time was great but it wasn't. I came in at 3 hours (I think flat). Well, at least it wasn't more than 3.5 hours, when race officials stop measuring after. That was the only real target I had, but it did feel good to finish strong. As I crossed the finish line, there was Luke again (he is Mr. Speedy and the official photographer whenever I'm not it), and then I saw the rest of the family. It was great to see them there, still cheering on.

So, I am very grateful to have had my wonderful family there. It was inspiring to see my wife and children.

Like today, they inspire me every day to keep going. Like today, I believe they cheer me on, though they might not show it. Like today, they are the reason I continue even when things get tough. They are the reason I get up every day. They are the reason I do everything I do. For they I am grateful every day to be a dad.

5 comments:

  1. Mar otro poquito y llegas cuando ya habian cerrado no? :).....No te la creas manito estoy bien orgullosa de ti. Keep it up, eres un buen ejemplo para mi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gracias Susy. Si ya casi nada mas llego para barrer!

    I had to go straight from Grand Rapids to our Stake Center to a Priesthood Leadership session where I was speaking. My knees are VERY sore!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! What a great accomplishment and example for your family. Both the exercise part and the example of not giving up and hard work. There are many similarities that athletics have with the gospel and life. I'm sure your family watched you and had some of the very same thoughts as you did of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Tau. Don't know what they thought yesterday when they saw me limping all day long but I agree there are many similarities and lessons we can draw from athletics into daily life and gospel living.

    ReplyDelete