Sunday, May 29, 2011

A Vow to Protect

Josh & Camille with their umbrellas
the next day
Yesterday I finally set out to plant the new flowers we bought earlier this week. It had been raining a lot over the last few days. So, at the first break, I got my little plants out on the lawn and starting planting away. Camille and Joshua (who incidentally were both in their pajamas) wanted to help so I gave them each their job, one, clearing away the mulch so I could dig out the dirt, and the other one helping put the soil back on after placing the plants in the ground.

It was great but of course, the break didn't last long and it soon started sprinkling. Of course, I couldn't leave the job undone so I continued. My little faithful helpers wanted to stay with dad, so they got their umbrellas out and put them over their heads and my back as I continued on my knees planting the remaining plants.

They were having a great time, making sure we didn't get wet. They'd ask, "daddy, are you getting wet?" and "do you feel water on your shoulder or your head?" I assured them I was fine but every time we'd move to a new spot, they would make sure their umbrellas were just in the right spot so daddy wouldn't get wet. Then Josh said, "I am protecting you daddy!" and I said, "what does protect mean Joshie?" and he said, "it means that I'm saving you from getting wet!" accentuating 'getting wet' with an inflection in his little voice that told me he really wanted to keep me safe from the rain.

Camille, me, & Josh under their
protecting umbrellas
There I was, on my knees, working, and my son, my little boy, my youngest child, and his sister, were protecting me, their dad! I felt so grateful for that! And I've been thinking about it ever since.

As a father, I have a solemn responsibility to protect my family. And sometimes I wonder, like my two little ones did, am I providing full coverage? Are they getting sprinkled by the evil influences that storm all around us? What's the best way to position my umbrella to provide better protection as times change?

These and other questions are often on my mind. And yesterday they came to the forefront as my two precious little children set an example for me. It is true that out of the mouths of babes wonderful things come out at times. And yesterday I recommitted to my vow to protect my children for as long as I am their father, and for as long as they are within my reach to influence. I think that is what our Heavenly Father expects. I think that's what Heavenly Father does for us. I am grateful for a loving God who protects us and has given us all the tools we need to take advantage of that heavenly protection. Fortunately for dads, those are the same tools we can use to protect our own children.

2 comments: