Saturday, June 11, 2011

Brother Warner

Right before our canoe ride. It was
only about 59 degrees and rainy!
We left around 4:30 Friday afternoon. Five young scouts (two of them my sons Helaman and Luke), three adults, one vehicle. We jammed everything in our Suburban, tents, cooking gear, sleeping bags, and everything that we needed to have a wonderful time. The forecast: high of 59 and rain! We were scheduled to canoe the next morning. But we didn't care...we were going and were determined to have fun. And fun we had!!!

The experience reminded of another scouting trip many years ago. This time I was one of the young men. I don't remember all the leaders but I remember Brother Warner. He was cool! Not because he wore stylish clothes (far from it), or because he had the athleticism of most young men (he didn't), or because he drove a nice car (an old truck). He was cool because he made me feel special. It's hard to describe, but I wanted to be like him. He had two sons. They were obedient, respectful, and so much fun. I think they were like that because they had a wonderful father. And I admired that. Even as a young man, I felt an admiration for this man because he demonstrated the qualities of the kind of person I wanted to be.

I thought about it because I also admire the two men that were with me with these boys. It is such a blessing to have wonderful men serving my sons and the other boys in our ward. And I hope my sons look up to these men. I hope they see in them the qualities they will want to develop as adults, as dads some day. I feel very fortunate that my sons have these opportunities to interact with such special leaders who can be father role models the way brother Warner was to me.

All men can play a significant role in a young man's life. We don't have to be their biological dad. But we can all demonstrate the qualities that they might want to emulate some day.

On the way back at a Taco Bell stop
That's why I want my sons to go on these outings...that's why I like to go. Yes we had fun. Breakfast was smoky and a bit greasy but very tasty. Yes we got wet in the freezing water. Yes we had a blast laughing around the campfire telling stories. But more than all of that. It is the relationship between men and boys that I hope we all remember to help us be better men (young and old). Whether we are fathers or not, we can all be father role models the way brother Warner was to me.

I'd love to hear from you.

  • Who was someone who touched your life as a youth? 
  • What did they do that inspired you and helped you?
  • How were they 'father' role models?

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree! I have a couple of those leaders who stick out in my mind when I was new to the church at age 14. Thanks Bro Marlowe! He was in the bishopric, drove an old truck, and was very southern. But he shared a love for the gospel with all the young men he came in contact with and had a gift for making others feel special. Thank you to all those Bro Marlowes out there and may we be like those men to the youth we come in contact with.

    ReplyDelete