Monday, September 19, 2011

Training Wheels are Off!

On his own for the first time!
Few things compare with the joy of watching a baby take her first steps or a little boy ride his bike without training wheels for the first time.

This past weekend I had one such joy! My little Josh wanted me to help him ride his bike without training wheels...I said YES! with excitement. After all, I remember a couple of years ago when Camille (then 5) learned to do the same thing. It was magical!

It's an amazing thing to see how they learn so quickly to coordinate their body movements and balance themselves on two wheels. When they realize they are on their own, they become afraid, distracted, and sometimes they fall. Luckily for Josh, I was holding onto his jacket so I could pull him up if he lost his balance. Still he was a bit nervous at first, even though he was wearing knee and elbow pads, and of course, his helmet. But he, like his siblings before, gained confidence quickly and couldn't contain his excitement when he realized that he could do it. He yelled "I'm doing it dad!"

It made me think about all the protection we as fathers can and should provide our children so they can become effective free agents one step at a time. Here are some training wheels I received from my own father and that I've learn to appreciate as a father...
  • Regular father interviews
  • Family Home Evenings
  • Dinner time conversations
  • Daddy dates with children
  • Working together
  • Reading scriptures together
Some day those training wheels will no longer be there. Children will be on their own, attending college, serving missions, working, or starting their own families. Will they be able to say 'I'm doing it dad!'? I pray everyday that they will. I'm sure it will be an even greater joy to see them then, as it is now; even if we have to encourage them, give them confidence, and perhaps steady them a bit when they lose their balance momentarily.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome comparison! Some things that I am excited to do and improve with my boys. My oldest is just starting to ride his little bike. Can't imagine him riding off by himself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It'll come sooner than you expect. You'll enjoy it!!!

    ReplyDelete