Saturday, September 24, 2011

Lessons From My Kids and Their Lemonade Stand

Camille (CEO) and Joshua (CFO)
leading their first enterprise, a
lemonade stand.
As it often happens, my children taught me a lesson today. You see, children don't know that somethings are not possible, logical, practical, or even common sense.

But today my two youngest ones insisted that they wanted to set a lemonade stand in our driveway. Today, in 61 degree weather. OK, so it was a beautiful mostly sunny day, but not exactly peak lemonade-stand season. But being an entrepreneur myself, I wasn't about to get in the way of their of their first business venture.

Sales revenues: $10.35.
Well above forecast!
So, we made the lemonade. I helped them make the sign, we set up the table, chairs for them to sit and attract customers (many stopped just because they looked so sweet!). And out they went to sell lemonade. They waved at drivers, runners, dog-walkers, and anyone that passed by. And, yes, they sold several cups of lemonade, $10.35 worth of it. Yes, many people were most generous and I was so grateful for their gesture of kindness. But my kids did sell lemonade. So, what did I learn?

  1. Sometimes practicality has nothing to do with success.
  2. Have a vision, even it if seems impossible.
  3. You don't know what can be accomplished until you try it.
  4. Feel the fear and do it anyways. My kids are naturally shy but today they forgot about that.
  5. Don't take 'no' for an answer. I told them all the reasons why not to do it. They didn't care!
  6. Ignore the odds. I fully expected that maybe two or three people would actually stop. But I was surprised to see how many did.
  7. Have fun at what you do, your customers will appreciate it and reward you for it.

The other lesson I learned or was reminded of was that I need to support my children in worthwhile endeavors and encourage their dreams. I didn't know I could learn so much from helping my kids with a lemonade stand. And oh, how I did enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment