Friday, September 23, 2011

Don't Be Long Mama!

My beautiful queen and
princess wearing their rightful
crowns I made for them.
OK, Kelly's didn't quite turn
out, but she wore it anyway!
A few days ago, we had one of those hectic days with lots to do in the evening. It worked out that Kelly had to be out while I stayed home to manage the afternoon all by myself!

Coordinate kitchen clean up after dinner, homework help for at least 3 of our children, responding to the constant 'dad this' 'dad that' and 'daddy, daddy, can you help me?' Not to mention making lunches and getting the kids ready for bed (we call it PDP, a spanish acronym for the three critical tasks before going to bed, you figure it out), and there was some laundry to be folded. Ah, and of course, family scripture study, the last thing we do before going to bed.

Well, my dear wife came home and though we were almost all ready, the kitchen wasn't completely clean, some homework was still left undone, and the lunches were probably not prepared up to specifications. Needless to say, I was glad when she came home!

Now, I like to fancy myself that I do a lot around the house and that I pull my weight. That may be true. But pulling five children's weight is a totally different thing. And my dear wife does it every day! Yes, I help, I'm there and it works out fine. But often, all too often, because of business travel, church meetings, or something else, I'm out of the house like she was that particular evening. She never complains, she never even tells me how hectic it is, she never quits. She will tell me she is tired when I ask how she is doing. And so am I. But my usual tiredness is nothing compared to how I felt that evening. Thank you mama! And next time, please don't be long! I can't really do it without you.

To you fathers out there. Try it once (at least). Stay home the way she does every day. Do it all, like she does it every day. Chances are you will love her even more and appreciate more what she does every day.

And to you mothers out there. Don't be long mama...because we need you!

No comments:

Post a Comment