Sunday, March 27, 2011

Random Sunday Thoughts

1) Studied a bit from the Church Handbook of instructions sections 1-4. It's very interesting to me the emphasis on the role of the father in the work of salvation and how we need to lead. Here is a thought When you use the priesthood “by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned” (D&C 121:41), you receive the Spirit and will do many wonderful things for your family and those you serve.

2) Today I saw a young father with two small children, one of them a very young baby. I had never seen this young man but could tell his wife was not with him. It was quite a tender thing to see him there lovingly caring for his little ones. Then he got up to take the baby with a little pouch where I'm sure was a clean diaper with wipes. He came back a moment later and sat to enjoy the rest of the meeting and I thought...there is a man! Way to go dad!

3) My son Luke (my home teaching companion) I went to visit a widow at a rehab center. On the way there I told them that for our father's interview, we would change roles and that he could interview me. It was a great experience. His questions were thoughtful and sincere. We actually had quite a conversation. I feel very blessed to have Luke as a son! He makes me want to be a better father.

4) A young man in our ward is getting help with his Eagle (scout) project from a young father who is filling in for this young man's dad while he is working away from home and can't be here to help. What a great example of how we can bless the lives of others even when we are not their actual father.

5) Helaman started to teach his little sister Camille the basics of playing the piano. She admires him very much and it's evident he enjoys sharing of his knowledge and talent with her. Even at this young age I can see he is developing the traits to some day lead his own family as he learns to love and care for his younger siblings.

6) I got into a pillow fight with the boys down in the basement. It's amazing the bonding that can happen when pillows are flying!

No comments:

Post a Comment